Licensed Vocational Nurse 2 - High Risk Arcadia
Posted on: November 21, 2020
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:Responsible for performing moderately
complex and/or specialized patient-oriented procedures under the
supervision of a clinician or Registered Nurse (RN) to ensure that
patients receive appropriate care. Responsible for performing
operational duties as required under the supervision of the site
administrator or designee.--DETAILS:
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm.
- Work location: Arcadia, CA. Can float to Pasadena, CA 1 to 2
times per month.
- Department setting: High Risk clinic
- Patient scheduling, patient education, performing blood draws,
EKG tests, vaccine administration and auditing logs.ESSENTIAL
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service,
including quality, care and concern with each and every internal
and external customer.
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times (i.e. does not
leave patient on an exam table unattended) and participates in
Optum fall prevention program.
- Complies with Optum sharps safety program at all times (i.e.
only using devices with safety features and employing safe work
- Directs patient to proper exam/treatment area and prepares
patient for examinations and other procedures.
- Assists in the transportation of patient and patient flow.
- Obtains records and reports vital signs and any other pertinent
patient information to the RN or clinician.
- Administers medication, performs various patient tests, and
instructs patients on procedural preparations under the supervision
of the clinician or RN within their scope of practice.
- Notifies pharmacies of new prescriptions and authorizations of
new refills as ordered by the clinician.
- Collects, labels and transports various specimens to
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas and medical
- Maintains logs, records of medical procedures and inventories
- Performs telephone screening / intake.
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policy and
procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Anticipates the needs of the Primary Care Physician (PCP) and
carries out orders.
- Checks Electronic Health Records (EHR) for patients' arrival
status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
- Assists clinician and teammates in responding to patient
emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Transports dirty equipment, performs appropriate cleaning,
disinfecting, autoclaving, cold sterilization, maintains autoclave,
cidex and A-test logs.
- Maintains monthly expiration logs for medications and sample
medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
- Maintains yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance
(PM) and as needed.
- Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG's are
seen by clinician.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure /
- Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by
explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical
Equipment (DME), etc.
- Escorts patients to ancillary services when needed.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information
between site and referred Specialists, Hospitals, Urgent Care
Centers, Ancillary Testing Facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
- Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments.
- Registers new patients and refers them to the Eligibility
department as needed.
- Conducts New Patient Orientation Phase II.
- Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up
- Works bump list.
- Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including
California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV,
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
- Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test
- Participates in handling patient concerns, forwards form to the
Patient Liaison or supervisor and responds to patient complaints if
- Completes Care Team compliance measures on a daily basis
- Assists with Quality Metrics, Comprehensive Health Assessment
Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures,
and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external
site audits (facility site reviews) from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Interacts with the Patient Support Center, Eligibility
department and Pharmacy Support Center.
- Participates in teammates / clinician "huddles".
- Participates regularly in site teammates and department
- Covers Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions as needed.
- May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs,
senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process
to address the orders.
- Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging
patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient's
email addresses, updating smoking status, and other
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order test and update
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records
EHR for clinician to authorize.
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in
- Provides direct patient care as needed.
- Participates in verifying medications and vaccine doses for
- Mentors and trains teammates in collaboration with the Site
Administrator, lead clinician and people services department
- Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO)
(both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates,
and Skills validation including those that could be held after
working hours including the weekend.
- Participates in facilitation of annual skills validation for
Medical Assistants take place during evening hours and or weekends
(selected Saturdays only).
- Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been
reviewed and actions taken.
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding
to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response
- Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as
assigned by supervisor /management.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a
- Graduation from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Current California LVN license.
- I.V. therapy and phlebotomy certification required.
- ACLS required.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers by American Heart
Association (AHA) - (100% online certification is not acceptable).
- Over 1 year and up to and including 3 years of experience.
- Previous Licensed Vocational Nurse work experience.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.Careers with
Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one
giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum,
part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings
together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on
where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest
potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams
against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you'll find
incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular
opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)Diversity creates a
healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices
are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and
all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its
affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates
are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, Arcadia , Licensed Vocational Nurse 2 - High Risk Arcadia, Healthcare , Arcadia, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!