Posted on: March 20, 2020
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Responsible for performing complex and / or specialized
patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician,
Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) to ensure
safe patient care.
* Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate DaVita Medical Group (DMG) commitment to superior
customer service, quality, care, and concern with all internal and
* Closely monitors patient safety at all times; i.e. does not leave
patient on an exam table unattended and participates in DMG fall
* Complies with DMG sharps safety program at all times, i.e. only
using devices with safety features and employing safe work
* Anticipates needs of the clinician and carries out orders.
* Checks Electronic Health Records (EHR) for patients' arrival
status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
* Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent
patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
* Performs ear lavage, EKG, spirometry, injections, peak flows,
pulse oximetry, breathing treatments, suture removals, wound
dressings, vision / hearing tests, urine pregnancy tests, urine
dips, blood glucose testing, blood hemoglobin (hemocue) testing,
any other procedures and screening permitted by scope of
* Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (i.e. 24 hour
urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens
obtained by clinician, etc.) and maintains lab specimen logs as
* Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears, laceration
repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assists with more
complex department specific specialty procedures (i.e. vasectomies,
cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint
aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields,
pachymetry testing, etc.).
* Performs medication administration within scope of practice and
documents administration of medications and procedures in EHR.
* Maintains and cleans exam / treatment areas, specimen processing
areas, and medical equipment.
* Transports dirty equipment, performs cleaning, disinfecting,
autoclaving and cold sterilization, maintains autoclave, cidex, and
* Cleans and stocks exam rooms, treatment / procedure rooms,
specimen processing areas, and nursing stations.
* Within Scope of Practice, ensures proper documentation of
medication administration and documentation procedures in EHR.
* Maintains monthly expiration logs for medications and sample
medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
* Maintains yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance
(PM) and as needed.
* Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG's are seen
* Maintains and follows up on Abnormal Pap Log at least monthly, if
* Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure /
* Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by
explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical
Equipment (DME), etc.
* Escorts patients to ancillary services as needed.
* Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between
site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, and
ancillary testing facilities, etc.
* Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
* Participates in scheduling specialty procedures (biopsies, minor
* Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
* Maintains cancer / melanoma patients' follow up appointments.
* Tracks specialty procedures / patient volume on a daily basis
* Verifies with DMG Connect for approved or denied appointments and
follows up by scheduling patients.
* Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up
* Works bump list.
* Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including
California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
* Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV,
* Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
* Performs patient record audits.
* Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
* Takes messages for clinician and other department members as
* Calls patients as requested by clinician.
* Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test
* Handles prescription refills as appropriate.
* Completes Patient Communication form and responds to patient
complaints when necessary.
* Assists with Quality Metrics; Comprehensive Health Assessment
Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures,
and patient follow up procedures.
* Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
* Participates in preparing department for internal and external
site (facility site review) audits from SCAN, DHS, etc.
* Participates regularly in site Teammate and department
* Cross-trains into Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions when
* May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs,
senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
* Anticipates department needs and communicates needs to the
* Maintains an independent patient schedule under the direct
supervision of a clinician.
* Functions as the department mentor, trainer and resource by
orienting new Teammates and coordinating Teammates schedules and
* Identifies and resolves daily department issues and concerns and
escalates to supervisor when necessary.
* Participates in the development of department policies and
* Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policies and
procedures at all times.
* Uses, protects, and discloses DMG patients' protected health
information (PHI) in accordance with Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
* Assists with beginning and end of day controlled substance count
and document with licensed teammate upon completion of controlled
substance count training.
* May administer controlled substances upon completion of
controlled substance training.
* Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process
to address the orders.
* Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging
patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient's
email addresses, updating smoking status, and other
* Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per
* Uses approved standing orders to perform, order test and update
* Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records EHR
for clinician to authorize.
* Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in EHR.
* Provides direct patient care as needed.
* Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO)
(both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates,
and Skills validation including those that could be held after
working hours including the weekend.
* Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been reviewed
and actions taken.
* Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding to
patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response
* Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as
assigned by supervisor /management.
* Performs additional duties as assigned
* 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a
* Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
* Phlebotomy certificate.
* Basic Life Support for Providers by American Heart Association
(AHA) - (100% online certification is not acceptable).
* Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
* Over one year previous Medical Assistant work experience.
* Over 1 year experience as a DMG medical assistant.
* Over 1 year of experience in a specialty field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
* Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
* Manual dexterity to use / handle equipment and instruments.
* Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
* Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body
* Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
* Computer literate (i.e. logging on to computer, usage of keyboard
and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email applications).
* Ability to type 40 wpm.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to
read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
* Customer service oriented.
* Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
What's the first thing that happens when one of the leading
independent medical groups in the country comes together with a
global leader in health care? Opportunity. With DaVita Medical
Group, HealthCare Partners, The Everett Clinic, Northwest
Physicians Network, MountainView Medical Group and Magan Medical
Clinic joining OptumCare and the UnitedHealth Group family of
companies, people like you will find increasing levels of
challenge, impact and professional success. We're changing health
care for the better by improving access to affordable, high quality
care, and working together to improve the patient experience. That
takes passion, commitment, intense focus and the ability to
contribute effectively in a highly collaborative team environment.
Are you with us? Learn more about this exciting opportunity to do
your life's best work.(SM)
Careers with OptumCare. Here's the idea. We built an entire
organization around one giant objective; make the health system
work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the
world's large accumulation of health - related information, or
guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for
millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and
uncover new ways to serve. OptumCare, part of the UnitedHealth
Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest
minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in
order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working
on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that
matter. Here you'll find incredible ideas in one incredible company
and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare and its
affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any
other characteristic protected by law. OptumCare and its affiliated
medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required
to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, Arcadia , Medical Assistant,Senior, Healthcare , Arcadia, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!