Company: Pacific Clinics
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Human Resources, the
Payroll Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing all
aspects of the Payroll Department, including the timely and
accurate completion of payroll and reporting functions for over
2,000 employees. The Payroll Manager actively reviews and oversees
the completion of complex payroll, computational, accounting, and
other activities related to the issuance of regular bi-monthly and
supplemental payrolls for the entire organization. The position
also ensures that all payroll activities are carried out in
compliance with internal policies, as well as federal, state, and
The Payroll Manager serves as the primary liaison between the Human
Resources Department and Finance/Accounting, working to quickly and
effectively address any payroll-related issues or concerns that may
arise. This individual also works collaboratively with colleagues
within all departments and divisions, including the Controller and
CFO, on any matters where the Payroll department provides support.
The Payroll Manager oversees payroll staff, each of which manages
specific elements of the payroll process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Payroll Processing Oversight
* Oversees all aspects of the payroll processing cycle and ensures
the timely and accurate completion of payments to over 2,000
employees in accordance with federal, state, and local
* Oversees and supports accurate month-end, quarter-end and
year-end payroll accounting and reporting requirements, working in
partnership with the Accounting department.
* Supervises payroll staff members, managing workflows, delegating
responsibilities, and reviewing and monitoring assignments for
completeness and accuracy.
* Reviews and ensures the accurate processing of tax changes,
direct deposits, retroactive adjustments, prorated payments,
bonuses, co-efficient overtime, meal break penalties, allowances
and/or stipends, amongst others.
* Reconciles the agency's timekeeping system to ensure that data is
accurate and accounts for all time-off requests and leaves of
absences, amongst other potential discrepancies.
* Reviews and oversees the balancing and reconciliation of regular
and supplemental calculations and timesheets as well as benefit
* Oversees proper set-up of all garnishments, liens, and child and
spousal support orders and ensures that all payments are made by in
accordance with the order(s).
* Manages all 401(k) and 403(b) employee and employer contributions
per payroll period.
* Reviews retirement-related payment schedules, as well as any
other benefits requiring uploading to outside agencies and ensures
that employee withholdings are reconciled with the general ledger
* Reviews and oversees the process of direct deposit reversals and
stop payment placements and, when necessary, ensures that funds are
reimbursed to the company.
* Oversees and manages payroll audits and established internal
controls ensuring process documentation is maintained accurately
and kept up to date.
* Supervises and reviews the preparation and maintenance of all
payroll and disbursement records.
* Manages the timely and accurate preparation of various monthly
reports including reports on vacation benefits/utilization,
retirement benefits/utilization, workers compensations, overtime,
and allocation in addition to other monthly and quarterly reports
required by various outside agencies.
* Manages the timely and accurate response to internal requests for
data/reports that support the reconciliation of payroll
liabilities, allocations, and billing.
* Oversees the controls for balancing state and federal tax
payments, ensuring correct year-end reports and overseeing the
submission of final transmittals on or before deadlines.
* Completes annual 401(k) and 403(b) reporting (e.g., census
schedule) in compliance with plan requirements.
* Assists in Program and Annual Financial Audits, providing payroll
registers, timesheets, and payroll-related worksheets or schedules
* Prepares payroll-related audit items for the fiscal year-end and
401(k) audits, as well as other interim audits.
* Prepares annual Form 990 reporting data for submission to the
agency's external audit firm for regulatory filing.
* Completes an annual review of the payroll schedule; detailing
payroll periods, timesheet submission dates, and pay dates for the
* Completes an annual review of the employee long-term disability
benefit to ensure that data is incorporated into the payroll
* Serves as the primary liaison to the organization related to
payroll issues to ensure the seamless flow of information and
* Maintains close working relationships with the Human Resources,
IT, and Finance/Accounting Departments to develop and improve
* Trains staff on any new payroll-related processes/procedures at
corporate meetings and events.
* Attends and participates in staff meetings to provide input
towards program development and staff training.
* Advises staff and departments on technical aspects of the payroll
system and interprets laws related to payroll.
Systems, Policies, and Procedures
* Manages the implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of the
payroll systems and processes.
* Initiates, documents, and implements all payroll-related policies
* Initiates process improvements and identifies and addresses
opportunities for automation.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
* Communication - Effectively and consistently communicates
contract and compliance directives to staff. Encourages interactive
discussions and maintains an open-door policy. Ensures that all
staff within the program are properly educated and informed about
matters relating to the Agency, program, and division.
* Relationships and Attitude - Models professionalism by
maintaining effective working relationships, following all policies
and procedures and approaching challenges with a proactive and
positive attitude. Also develops strong, trusted relationships with
colleagues and customers.
* Attendance -Models good attendance by adhering to their regular
work schedule and at times working additional or varied hours to
* Problem Solving - Ability to analyze problems and implement
* Organizational Acumen - Has an understanding and knowledge of
systems, people, structures, and processes that work together to
make the enterprise functional.
* Confidentiality - Maintains the confidentiality of all business
documents and correspondence.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE/POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
* Bachelor's Degree (B.S.) in Accounting, Finance, or related
* Minimum of ten (7) years' Payroll and/or Audit experience.
* Minimum of seven (5) years' supervisory experience.
* Minimum of five (5) years' experience and working knowledge of
payroll regulations and laws including payroll tax and wage / hour
* Experience with mid-range and web-based accounting and payroll
systems; experience with ADP and/or UKG would be a significant
* Experience in selection and implementation of payroll
* Excellent written/verbal communication skills including ability
to create policies, procedures and audit programs.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and
* Demonstrated ability to use 10-key by touch.
* Effective organization skills and ability to work with minimal
* Ability to work effectively and professionally in a multi-task,
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Current California driver's license and a driving record
acceptable to the Agency's insurance carrier.
* Ability to work effectively with diverse staff and Agency
* Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to fulfill
departmental and Agency needs which may include weekends, evening,
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently
required to stand or sit. The employee is required to use hands to
produce records and/or documentation in manual or electronic
format. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 5 pounds
and occasionally move or lift up to 10 pounds
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
We comply with Assembly Bill AB1933, candidates are required to
show proof of full vaccination (including Booster) to begin work.
Candidates who are partially vaccinated, cannot begin work until
they are fully vaccinated and waited fourteen days post second
vaccine. Requests for Medical and Religious exemptions may be
submitted post offer for consideration.
Unvaccinated May Not begin work until:
* Received one Johnson & Johnson or two Pfizer or Moderna and
waited 14 days past the last vaccine.
* Pfizer second dose - taken after 21 days = can start after 35
days from 1st dose
* Moderna second dose - taken after 28 days after first dose = can
start work after 42 days from 1st dose
Keywords: Pacific Clinics, Arcadia , Payroll Manager, Executive , Arcadia, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!